No matter how organized you are as a person, moving house is always a complicated task. Even if you’ve made an effort to declutter your home, you might still find yourself in disbelief about how much stuff you actually have. This is where moving checklists and smart moving hacks can do you a real favor during this stressful life event. As well as hiring the right professional movers for the job!
Planning a move within Ontario in the near future? Here are the moving and packing tips you never knew you needed.
Smart Moving Hacks To Help You Feel Prepared
As the age-old saying goes ”you can never be too prepared” and this could not be more relevant when moving house. The better prepared you are, the smoother the entire transition will be. And this is especially important if your move is further than just down the street.
First thing’s first, here are a few preparation hacks:
1. Create a Detailed Checklist
Dedicate an afternoon where you can sit down and write out a detailed checklist of the most important things you need to do before the actual day of your move. Some of the top tasks include:
- Make sure you contact all relevant utility companies and schedule shut-off services or re-connection services at your new address
- Remember to set up a mail forwarding service
- Purchase all the packing materials you need (always buy extra, in case)
- Make a plan for child care and pet care services on the day of your move
The purpose of this checklist is to make your life a whole lot easier when you start packing, on moving day, and in the weeks that follow after your move.
2. Allow Enough Time To Hire Professional Movers
It’s no secret that some of the best professional movers in your region are busy people and bookings often fill up weeks or months in advance. That’s why you want to leave yourself enough time to find and hire the right movers for the job.
If you’re not sure where to start, ask friends and family for moving company referrals.
3. Make an Effort To Declutter
One of the best things you can do in order to streamline your move is to declutter your home. As mentioned before, you’d be surprised how much you can accumulate inside a home over the years.
There’s no better time than to go through your cupboards and storage areas and clear out what you no longer use or need. This will make the task of packing so much easier.
4. Color-Code Your Packing Boxes
One of the best ways to simplify your unpacking process and save time is with color-coded planning. Use different colored markers or stickers to color code your boxes according to each room.
Use the color-coding when assigning to a room, then label the boxes as per their contents inside.
5. Take Photos To Simplify Your Unpacking
In order to simplify your life while setting up your new home, take some time to snap a few photos of:
- The complicated wiring of electronics and entertainment systems
- The structure/assembly of any items of furniture you need to disassemble
- Expensive or fragile items that could face damage during the move (for insurance purposes)
Finally, you want to save yourself some energy on your move-in day. Pack an overnight essentials bag or box that you can easily access for your first night in your new home. Make sure to include a change of clothes, toiletries, medications, electronic chargers, and kitchen basics.
Looking for Movers in London, Ontario?
Whether you’re planning on moving to Ontario or to a different region within it, Sprint Moving Service is here to streamline the entire process for you.
Request a free quote from our team today and start planning your move!