When it comes to packing your more fragile belongings, this process should start well before your moving date. These items require more attention when organizing and deciding how to protect them from damage. It is generally always good to get these items ready first to assure their safety during your transition. These items can be anything from art or special furniture, to more simple items like dishes or a mirror. Regardless of the item, belongings like this will all require some extra care to secure them appropriately for the big move. Here are some helpful tips to consider when packaging your antiques and other similar items.
Art, Mirrors and Glass
- You will need to locate large boxes for each item in this category that you need to pack. Ideally you want heavy cardboard so that it can provide more protection to your items. The thicker the better. If you can’t find any, you can buy boxes in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, including two piece boxes that converge on the item from either side for a more secure and protective fit. This option is often ideal for larger artwork and items of a similar size and shape. This box will be the outer layer of your packaging.
- Wrap all of your items in Glassine. Similar to plastic wrap, glassine is able to repel water and actually provides a much more air-tight seal than plastic wrap. It also has the added benefit of resisting any grease that your item may come in contact with.
- Cover your glassine layer with an additional layer of bubble wrap. The more layers the better. This stuff provides a soft cushion that will protect against any impact the item may face during the move.
- Place protection on the corners of your items. You can purchase corner protectors made of foam or cardboard. This step is important as the corners of art and glass are always the most vulnerable parts during any kind of moving process.
- If you feel an item needs more protection, simply put more layers of paper or foam on. If you really want to add some additional cushion, feel free to add in towel or blanket for another soft layer of protection. In this case, there really is no such thing as too many layers.
- Place these items in the moving truck strategically. Keep in mind the possibility for unavoidable bumps while driving, and take this into account when deciding where in the truck you want to secure your things. You will want to find a safe spot where the larger items will not damage your art or glass.
- A good thing to do beforehand is to make a note of the condition of all of your fragile things before packing. This will help you track all of your items from start to finish and make sure they are transported safely. It will also help you resolve any kind of issue that may arise as part of the process.
- Get your packaging ready. For this step you will need: packing tape, blankets, bubble wrap and most likely some tools.
- Make sure you have some help when lifting heavy furniture. The times when most things go wrong during a move is when someone is trying to lift too much weight on their own. There is no need to hurt yourself or your items. Simply make sure you have the amount of people necessary to lift something before trying to do it yourself.
- In many cases disassembling your furniture beforehand can really simplify this process. Packaging pieces in an organized way can create more space in your truck and safer transport for sensitive items.
- Wrap your antiques with multiple layers of bubble wrap and use to tape to secure them. Again, the more layers the better, you can never have too many.
- Follow the bubble wrap with a layer of blanket and secure again with tape.
- If at all possible, compartmentalizing these items in boxes or crates can work very well to keep them from being hit or damaged by other items during a move.
Hire Professional Movers
The easiest way to make sure your fragile items are transported to your new home in one piece is to hire a moving company. These professionals know how to move your items safely and easily, giving you the peace of mind in knowing that you will have an easy and efficient move.
For many people, hiring a moving company can help ease the stress and confusion of a big transition. Our professional team can help you plan and organize your move, taking care of the hardest parts on your big day. If you are interested in commercial or residential moving or packing services, Sprint moving is located in London, Ontario, offering high quality service at an affordable cost. Please visit our quote page and receive an estimate for your move!